Miguel's Touring Thread

jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
edited May 2015 in Road/Track
This discussion was created from comments split from: Want to Buy Thread.

Comments

• bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 713
    I'm looking to buy/borrow a set of low-rider racks. Just want them for Oregon outback. The only rack I have is my Cetma halfrack, which I may just use, but it's a little overkill as I'm trying to lighten the rig up a little.
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    Is your fork drilled for mid mount? Also is it single mount or though hole?
    edited May 2015
    @tvcb said:
    Is your fork drilled for mid mount? Also is it single mount or though hole?
    good question, no :-/

I've got eyelets on the dropouts and then a free brake boss where a caliper brake would fit(single mount(not through). Also canti mounts.

Rear has rack and eyelet mounts. I'd be good with just a front rack though
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,324
    Atmo front low riders are not a good idea
    Especially if you don't have a lot of experience
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    edited May 2015
    I used low riders all the way down the coast with zero experience. It was fine. You adapt to it REAL quick. I think the scary part was when I took my bags off to ride into town. So twitchy.
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    not only low riders, but low riders with full size, fully loaded ortliebs, on a bike with stupid doo-doo dumb geometry
    and no rear rack
    just five thousand pounds of garbage on the front of a mountain bike
    To emphasize, cetma halfrack has low riding panniers, problem is that it's too heavy. I don't have any problems riding with them.
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    @bicyclefunk you're doing the outback? I am doing the outback! Say hi!
    oh hey, itsa me, miguel
    i have some experience here with
    1. the oregon outback
    2. loaded lowrider panniers

last year i started the oregon outback with 2 other people. there were 3 of us. that's a magic number. we had been planning for a few months to ride this and so we scheduled training rides on gravel on fully loaded bikes - we were actually planning to do exactly what we were going to do! ok, so 2/3 of us showed up to all the rides. The 2 of us rode in the rain and wet and mud (it was a good wet spring last year). The third just did his same old - commute to work with panniers, skipping all but 1 of the dress rehearsals and only carrying 1/3 of what he would normally have and on completely different tires. Homeboy did not prepare well or know what to expect. He left his 2 front lowriders full and minimally packed the rear 2.

1. (me) on a salsa el mar - frame bag, handlebar roll, butt rocket bag
    2. on an alu trek cross - tcb porteur rack, rear panniers
    3. on a soma double cross - lowrider fronts and rear panniers. sleeping gear on racktop rear

FF to the day before the ride - we 3 get to klamath falls and decide that the weather is going to be awesome so we ditch most of the cool wet weather gear. ok, morning of the ride, i scope the fast group and tell the other 2 to FOLLOW THOSE GUYS, THEYRE FAST AND WE CAN DRAFT. Well, #3 didnt listen and kept #2 back because they "lost" me and thought i was behind them. About 20 miles out we hit gravel - the first section between the gates. it's a deeper, softer gravel - sort of like dixie mountain - but flat. this kind of terrain can get a bit squirrely if you don't have good wide tires with a big contact patch and guess what? HOMEBOY WAS RIDING 35s. I am 5 lengths behind him now and he removes one hand from the bars to grab a bottle and
    BING-O
    bars turn
    ass over handlebars
    yard sale
    concussion
    oregon headedbackhome
    Now this is a problem with experience, handling, and weight distribution. had he put all the weight in the rear it might have handled a bit differently but he didn't show up to the training rides and had no idea how to navigate the terrain.

TLDR: asking 2 weeks before a 360 mile variable terrain ride for lowrider racks is asking for trouble.

@bicyclefunk was that you i saw checking your txtmsgs no handed headed down mississippi this morning?
    edited May 2015
    if you need to pack more than 2 panniers then you are carrying too much, keep those on the rear.

put a lunch bag/boxy bag on the porteur rack and you are looking good.
    yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion man
    I agree with Miguel, especial with the amount of load, load placement & size of tires. Did a trial ride two weekends ago, one fella had only rear panniers and that was a pain for him. I could only imagine the reverse on gravel roads would be horrible. I was extremely pleased with my handelbar roll, frame bag & medium sized saddle pack bag. Totes worth it when we hit some single track fun!
    edited May 2015
    i cant express handling experience enough and testing tire size and pressure. fat tires at lower pressures are the dream sequence of gravel riding.

and you dont REALLY need to carry that much food. there are refills at 50 miles, ~120 miles, and then prineville. WATER however, is a different story. i had 2x 24oz bottles for electrolyte/etc and then a 2L and 3L bladder. I really needed the bladders by the end of most days. I need a lot of water to ride well.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    is this where we all argue about racks vs. frame bags again?
    lul
    @Kendra said:
    is this where we all argue about racks vs. frame bags again?
    We can but I feel strongly that both are great for different cercumstances.
    Yes, that was me this morning @Miguel. Guilty

Also I did trask front loaded no problem. I built the bike for front load. In fact fully loaded I can ride without hands, so I'm not worried.

My only concern was that I am really not a huge fan of the cetma because it mounts on the axle and with weight and vibrations it's a bad idea. Fine for road riding, questionable for gravel. Plus it's weighty.

Otherwise I'll be using the cetma, with small panniers, frame bag, and maybe a saddle bag(aka stuff sack bungied to saddle).

@mixtieme I told my friend I would. I have to see if I can get that Friday off. If it works out we should roll down together. Not sure how people normally get there

Strong thread name change.

@Miguel you are definitely right about my lack of training though, heh. But I'm fairly confident in my abilities. I'm also insane when it comes to water rationing.
    Overload your bike and go ride Dixie mtn this weekend
    You deserve it
  • rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,438
    DIXIE MOUNTAIN!!!! <3
    guys i think i've got my setup pretty dialed in

the revelate viscacha is awesome! really helps balance out the pannier setup
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    Not with that stem you don't.
    amazing you havent killed yourself
    lol
    pullin a rubber side down speedvagen 1 sided pannier thing
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    "THE FADAVIST"®™

i had everything cages and i made some small bags that fit. one side had some food and fuel, the other had my sleeping pad
    i'm going to take your word for it since i can't make out anything in those pictures
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    ^^^