randonneuring

Comments

• jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    @jerry said:
    fuck that i don't own a truing stand, i just stare those fuckers down and they fix themselves.
    just didn't want people to miss this
  • bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 711
    Haha
  • bschultzbschultz Riding Level: 383
    @Miguel said:
    Sometimes when I feel really good in the middle of the season, I can ride this 80-100 mile loop and be home by lunch, finish all my adult chores and drink beer, eat chips, and hang around in a hammock.
    @Miguel
    Seeing how it's most definitely going to be raining or at least wet I'll be waiting at 5th & burnside, so we can wuss out and drop down to the blue line if we want.
    PS if you see a guy on a bright orange bike that's Beryl, I just call him Barrel.
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    Btw fuck the haters but this almond milk I'm drinking right now tastes like lucky charms
    rap lyrics got weird
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    @bicyclefunk
    I'll txt you when I leave my house. I am about 5 minutes from 5th&bside. Max is fine but I'm riding over the hill to get home
  • rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,439
    @S_L_D and @jerry are you just agreeing with me or do I just not get it
    @rofljen said:
    @S_L_D and @jerry are you just agreeing with me or do I just not get it
    Oh hey
    The weather was awesome today and new guy showed up! Also, kinda killed it with a sub 4:30 100k. My fat slow ass cramped up and I didn't meet my goal

:((((((
    Good times :-)
    Nice to meet you @Miguel
    isn't 100k 63 miles?

NEVERMIND.
    maybe I should do one of these rides
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    Next one will probably be 126 miles, atmo.
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    I'm feeling randy, how do I Rando?
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    I think I got this. Its just regular bike riding, but you call it rando and it makes you cooler... To yourself. Its not a group ride. Its not a race. Its just a bunch of people riding their bikes.
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    ...riding their bikes set distances ranging from "reasonably far" to "ludicrously far". The pinnacle is a ~750mi out-and-back from Paris to one of the more northerly parts of the French coast.
    @Slam said:
    I think I got this. Its just regular bike riding, but you call it rando and it makes you cooler... To yourself. Its not a group ride. Its not a race. Its just a bunch of people riding their bikes.
    I'm not sure if it makes you cooler, but included in a group - yes. A group which you pay money too to ride with. Though I think that's only if you want official results and to be in that big French one.

there's more than the big french one
    1001 Miglia 1630k (Italy)
    Big Tour of Bavaria 1200km (Germany)
    Big Wild Ride 1200 km (Alaska, USA)
    BMB Boston-Montreal-Boston 1200k (USA)
    Cascade 1200 (USA)
    Colorado High Country 1200k Randonnée (USA)
    Gold Rush Randonnée (USA)
    Granite Anvil 1200 (Canada)
    Great Southern Randonnee (Australia)
    Hamburg-Berlin-Cologne-Hamburg 1500 km (Germany)
    Korea Grande Randonnee 1200 (Korea)
    Last Chance 1200k Randonnée (USA)
    LEL: London-Edinburgh-London (United Kingdom)
    Madrid-Gijon-Madrid 1200km (Spain)
    Míle Fáilte 1200 (Ireland)
    Perth-Albany-Perth (Australia)
    Rocky Mountain 1200 (Canada)
    Sofia-Varna-Sofia 1200km (Bulgaria)
    Super Brevet Scandinavia 1200km (Denmark, Norway, Sweden)
    Texas Rando Stampede (USA)
    Taste of Carolina 1200k (USA)
    VanIsle 1200 (Canada)
    Ultimate Island Explorer 2000 km (Canada)
    Vologda-Onega-Ladoga (Russia)
    Maraton Rowerowy Dookoła Polski (Poland)
    Sicilia No Stop (Italy)
    Silk Route (Uzbekistan)
    The Daal Baati 1200 km BRM across Exotic Rajasthan, (India)

Though I think that's only if you want official results and to be in that big French one.
    well you get a few more things:
    pre-ridden routes
    accident insurance
    possible support
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    the difference between randonneuring and just riding your bike is not that far from the difference between racing and just riding your bike
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    the difference between randonneuring and just riding your bike is not that far from the difference between racing and just riding your bike
    Are you trying to say that the difference between randonneuring and riding your bike is huge or between racing and riding your bike is small?
    mehhhhhhhhhh
  • ICU81MI Riding Level: 1
    @S_L_D_ said:
    Are you trying to say that the difference between randonneuring and riding your bike is huge or between racing and riding your bike is small?
    I'd say either one is as small or as large one cares to make it. There's dudes racing Masters Cs in cross on tandems wearing tutus and guys riding brevets with the fitness to hang with your average cat2 roadie bro.

Yesterday I rode the SIR spring 300k. It was probably the most difficult ride Ive ridden to this point in my life. 10k feet of climbing and headwinds here and there. Not just "hills" but "hills for hills sake", unnecessary hills. Mfn jan heine and a few other dudes finished at less than 12 hours. I completed at 15:5x. I'm not upset that I took so long because I was not prepared for the endeavor. Oh, there are crushers. Lots of rando guys have done RAAM and other endurance events. I was given a task by my older buddy to not overtrain for the endurance but to work on hill repeats and intervals, to move my cruising speed from ~23kmh to 25-28.
    I should mention that there is a lot of passive aggression and dick measuring in rando. Like, a lot.
    @Miguel said:
    I should mention that there is a lot of passive aggression and dick measuring in rando. Like, a lot.
    I could understand the passive aggression.
    Congrats on the 300k btw.

There's a story about Chris ragsdale pulling a whole crew at something like 35 mph and he'd pull after everyone went, like 1-c-1-c-1-c etc and after everyone would try he would say something like "oh hey, good pull, good job"
    This weekend is the Oregon Rando 200k
    http://www.orrandonneurs.org/rba/2015/Birkie_15/Birkie_15_info.html

it's a good ride, fast and not a lot of hills. last year there was a big herd of moose out at the furthest point.
    hey folks, 100k populaire is this weekend
    that's 67 miles for you nerds

starts at 9am at the cornelius roadhouse
    im leaving on the max at 730am or whenever nearabout then

ride takes me 3:30-4:30 to complete usually, im feeling slow this year. there is beer and mcmenamins at the finish.

you are invited if you want to put on some stretch pants and ride in a big circle through farmland