Cool or Uncool thread

tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,386
Gauge opinions on parts, rides, builders or anything bike related.

For example, Inverted fork shocks for mountain bikes.
Cool or Uncool?

Comments

• jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,327
    depends on which fork it is

marzocchi RAC: not cool, it was so flexy and expensive and it GUSHED oil out of the seals

shiver SC: cool, it was way better than the RAC, it was well sealed, and it was so fucking plush because the sliders stayed lubed up. it was a little flexy, but not bad. such a neat fork

dorado sc: COOLEST. oh man i have wanted one of these forks all my life, these are the shit. the hex axle made it stiff, it moved like butter, and it was light. very limited production. i would buy one of these currently.

maverick sc: not cool. proprietary hub, shit damper, bullshit all over the place

german-a flame: cool, i guess. it's something.

that x-fusion thing: meh

RS-1: too expensive, proprietary hub, sub-par weight especially at that price. overall appearance is very wtf. smooth because the wipers stay lubed, but inaccessible adjustments are bleh.

dnm: just no.

atomlab: jesus christ no no no.
    should i do the dual crowns too?
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,386
    Dual crowns are only cool when your sponsor supplies them, otherwise you just look like a tryhard
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    Nah, this is the Ask Erryone Else Thrad.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    edited January 2015
    Jerry isn't allowed to answer these questions.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
  • ElReverendoElReverendo Riding Level: 71
    Phomma, you really can't go wrong anyway you go with a 150mm airsprung fork. The Marzocchi 350 is pretty amazing looking. The x-fusion velvet (smaller sister fork of the slant (34mm stanctions) and bigger brother Vengence (36mm)) was pretty amazing. The Fox 36 (160mm) I have is down right right amazing and I have heard the Pikes are plush as all get out due to their amazing new "charger damper". Forks I wouldn't go for are pre-2011 Marzocchis, Manitou anything, Suntour anything, 32mm forks or Rock Shox forks previous to the pike.
    For an AM hardtail, I would try to find a 34 or 36 Fox Talas or a x-Fusion Vengence DLR. Both will have travel adjust which will allow for a capable xc bike and fun dh mobster at places like Sandy or Cold Creek.
    Jerry, talk to us about dual crowns. I am pretty sure I'll be switching my 2007 Italian 888 to a new Marzochi 380, but am still considering a newer Boxxer or Fox 40 for my DH bike.
    now what you need is the fork off a cr80 with 11 inches of plush travel. should be able to get a bike under 76lbs relatively easy, just like the BMW Rubber Ducky

• wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    edited January 2015
    I'm visiting my mom next month. I'll have a couple days in NYC by myself w a bike and it's my first time. What do?
    get robbed/beat up?
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,310
    Meet some people from Tarck
    Is your mom hot?
    prob go to stumptown

BRO YOU GET THE SHOT?????
    Not pictured* neck brace
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    What are y'all's thoughts on the sickest/least sick shops in town?

Shops you would party at? Shops you would bring your bike to? Shops you would shoplift from and leave a turd in the toilet tank?
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Depends on your disciplines of cycling... But here's my opinions:

cool:

Western Bikeworks: awesome helpful and non-pretentious staff, cafe, a big selection of product. My personal favorite because my domestic partner works there. A

Portland Bike Studio: nice staff, more race focused product, cafe. Sponsors a lot of local race teams, which is cool. B-

Universal Cycles: anything you've ever needed bike related, within a week if not right now. Staff is hit and miss. Atmosphere can be awkward too cuz it's a quiet storefront. Otherwise, awesome. B+

Bike Gallery: awesome staff mostly, and ok selection product. They're shooting for the Performance customer now, so that's kinda lame. But I still love most of the staff at the downtown location. C

River City: decent selection of product, cool floor layout. Staff is also hit and miss. Some people are super nice and helpful, others think they're too cool. C+

Fat Tire Farm: everything mountain bikes. Cool stuff, cool staff, super helpful. B+

Velocult: not a whole lot of product, cool old bikes everywhere, also has a cafe, huge supporter of the community, holds events. C+

Uncool:

West End Bikes: I hate Specialized and I'm pretty sure that's the only thing this place carries, owner hates continental tires, owner does cocaine, owner talks shit about other shops, race team is full of dipshits, atmosphere is lame

Athlete's Lounge: Triathlon and TT focused shop; need I say more? Oh yeah, don't touch anything (cuz it's probably got piss all over it).

Cyclepath: "custom only" bike shop, so you can imagine what the service and atmosphere is like here. Cool floor bikes that I'll never be able to afford

TBD:

21st Ave Bikes: I have yet to spend much time here since the solid crew left, about 2-3 years ago.

Bike Central: apparently Mean Dean has relocated somewhere, but awesome stuff regardless. Dean is a jerk until you wave money in his face, or if he recognizes you from being out at the track.

Citybikes: New and used co-op, sometimes is awesome, sometimes is awful. If you know your shit, don't bother asking for advice.

Community Cycling Center: ^see above. I tend to think this is a cool business because they do a lot of stuff for the community: free maintenance classes, donate bikes to kids, etc.
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    This is good info.

I'm specifically looking for somewhere rad to work at (IF THEYLL HIRE ME PLZ)
    Western for the staff
    Universal for the selection
    City bikes for the random used stuff
    damn josh that was solid.

I'm a bit partial to western as I built the service department there with my bare hands, and I'm bragging about that. I made it. It was me. #brag
    I miss the WBW days when Jerry would throw random takeoff parts at me, just to keep things tidy.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    edited January 2015
    Very good summary @Josh

Is ABC dead?

Also cool:

Sellwood: not a huge selection of product, but staff are A+ in my book and likely to offer you a beer if you are there near closing. Great selection of high-end used stuff. Team open to anyone and most S&M riders have always been nice.
    Oh shit I forgot sellwood cycles! Awesome shop, awesome website
    ABC is right across the street from me, they might as well be dead
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    ABC is for freakbikes and rusty old schwins with giant wicker baskets.
  • Grimm_RipperGrimm_Ripper Riding Level: 49
    edited January 2015
    A better cycle is my neighborhood shop. They've always been fare* on labor rates and really helped me out when I was hit. Could be a cool place to work, laid back vibe plus your right by the reel 'em in.
    Place got a little shittier when Ian left about 2 years ago, he was the only person i could have an intelligent conversation with. Then he moved to Ohio.
    hey jordan fuck you I'm right across the street, don't pay them to touch your bike.