Fuck Bike Thieves t-shirts

JasonSJasonS Riding Level: 80
edited October 2014 in General

Pre-Orders are up. These six convicted bike thieves are a huge problem in NW Portland bike theft. My goal with this shirt (and hopefully series of shirts for each quadrant) is to make these faces more familiar, so when people see these sketchballs pushing bikes down the street, calling the police / smashing face / u-locking the bike with your own lock can be done with confidence. If you don't want to go through paypal/bigcartel then send me a message and we can meet up if you'd rather pay cash.

Jason / BloodFireDeathBrigade

http://fuckbikethieves.bigcartel.com/

Comments

• jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    you can't sell a product with someone's face on it without their express permission, even if it is a publicly available mugshot.
  • JasonSJasonS Riding Level: 80
    Watch me.
    Also see: Busted Magazine
    busted magazine gets sued CONSTANTLY since laws were changed in november 2013 and makes massive settlement payouts to avoid going to court, where they would lose.
    maybe you implement a program where a person makes a donation to a charitable organization like BikeIndex.org and you give them the shirt, thus avoiding any sale of product or profit.
    edited October 2014
    The reason they get sued is because the law in 2013 changed to remove mugshots from public record after 30 days if the arrest did not lead to conviction. Because all of our pictures are of convicted bike thieves, it stands to reason that it'll hold more water.

Even if it doesn't, who gives a shit? I want the information out there and the absolute worst thing that could happen is we get a cease and desist.

Also! I'm not starting a business. I'm just making some shirts for my community and my city to help get some pertinent information about people stealing our bikes. I don't really care about copyright laws or privacy infringement any more than they care about cutting out locks and scrapping our shit.
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    What if they "gave them away" as gifts?
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    edited October 2014
    I doubt the bike thieves have the legal kung fu to know the legality around selling a product with their mugshot on it, especially given the prominence of Busted at every Plaid and 7-11 in town.

That said, getting rid of the PSA line might help obscure the source of the shirts should the bike thieves have said legal kung fu.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    @jasons you need to take a deep breath and calm down.
    yeah chillax bruh all i was doing was alerting a good friend of mine to a potential for a lawsuit. if i really didnt like what you were doing id just delete your thread and tell you to take it somewhere else, not edit your post to make it more convenient for people to click the link to your big cartel site. you're an adult, you're smart, i trust you to do smart things and it's not my job to make you do otherwise.

SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING

now to criticize your design, the PSA line at the bottom makes it look shit
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    When does the pre-order end?
    Two weeks.
This discussion has been closed.