frame builders - you deserve a custom frame

MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
i'm checking out framebuilders and asking dumb questions.
here is where i will post links and information. some info is from the paceline forum

Comments

• S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    edited August 2014
    I kinda really want one of the collabo frames we occasionally do with Rick Hunter. Steel stays/down tube/head tube, carbon seat tube/top tube. Rick's back ends are so gorgeous. Here's a photo on a recent Bike Rumor shop tour, I'll see if I can find.

edit found it:
    edited August 2014
    Also paragon makes this ti chainstay yoke that is wide enough for 3" tires and having a ti/carbon 650b hardtail with like a half inch to 3/4 of flex built into the back end and a Pike up front, i.e. the worlds most bourgeois Surly Instigator 2.0, also seems cool.

• MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    edited August 2014
    pricing for a steel road frame from frank the welder with 1 color pc is $1700
    pricing for a steel road frame from de salvo with 1 color pc/painted logo $1575zona/1775life

this includes curvy stays, room for 32s plus fenders, and a disc tab on the chainstay
    @S_L_D_ cant get the chainstay yoke link to open
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    ftfy

@S_L_D_

i've got a new frame coming, aluminum w/ carbon fork and I'm interested in bottle cage mounts on the fork and maybe one on the downtube (riv nut in aluminum), plus new paint job all over, is that something ruckus wants to party with?
    oh sweet, bikepacking apocalypse bike?
    atmo a pipeclamp gonna do u rite on the DT, then you wont have any problems with that brittle aluminum crack snapping
    @jerry We generally charge 500-600 for a full paint job, depending on the usual colors/graphics/oher prep required. What make/model is the fork? If you email me at dan@ruckuscomp.com we can get you a quote.
    @miguel made pretty yoke picture
    whoa jesus I'll pass on the paint, i'll email you about the fork
    @jerry
    Going rate for good paint is at or near $500 for single color wet. Keith Anderson is doing a "lick and stick" limited palette paint and decal for $375 right now. My bike that was just wrecked had no damage to the paint whatsoever even though the frame twisted. Good wet paint is expensive and weighs less than powdercoat. There is also ceramic coating (Shawnee coaters) that costs $175 and weighs 8-10grams. GRAMS. And it's 1ml thick. Downsides are it chips.
    Ceramikoat.com
    edited August 2014
    #yolo anodizing the frame and rattle canning the fork

I worked with the ceramikoat guys on a batch of stems and handlebars, its cool stuff for sure, but in the end we got the final product anodized for two cents per piece in taiwan
    also I dunno wtf happened to the paint industry but I was getting Seven's done up in Petaluma for $150 by some dudes who used to do Bruce Gordon frames
    You know what happened? Boutique bikes happened. The fact that they could charge $1000 for paint happened.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    edited August 2014
    @Miguel said: my bike that just wrecked
    Miguel did you say what happened elsewhere on here? I have read you cannot use one of your arms. Car? Not the Winterbike I hope?
    yep. winterbike. twisted. right hook, broke elbow, on lots of pain meds.
    ps if you want to see me cry just ask me about it IRL
  • maxmax Riding Level: 83
    Paint-jobs cost hella money because they require a lot of work by someone who really knows what the hell they are doing. A home-style paint job looks like you did it at home for a reason. Custom paint costs more because everything is done ad hoc, and there are a lot of touchy things to deal with...you want xyz color painted on two different materials to have such and such a finish and to match each other in every respect...or whatever. Oh, and it's really labor intensive. Anyway, life's hard. Good things are often expensive. Some things are more money than I am willing to pay for at certain times.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Darn, sorry Miguel.