• rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,438
    lmao
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    Yerbamates
  • bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 717
    @phomma said:
    Wouldn't count on having postmates as your only job
    Why is that?

I've got an interview with REI and have been getting hit up for fabrication work, but I'm not trying to take on too much with school.
    I've got financial aid and a small loan, so I don't really need money, but I'm just trying to fill spare time with work for obvious reasons.

I asked about postmates in relation to if they are shit to work with or if it's worth working for. I did delivery for Far West Courier in Santa Monica and it was really cool to work whenever I wanted and make as much money as I could.
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    I think Postmates is a relatively new operation to Portland. It's working well in other cities, so they're giving it a shot here. If Bruce ever logs in he can probably give you some info on it.

If you're not trying to make steady money, but wanna deliver burritos around town at weird hours, then maybe you'll enjoy it.
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    there was tons of that postmates shit in boston and sf and it's my understanding that the only food delivery employers you can count on to not screw you are rider owned
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    then they just lose your money out of ineptitude rather than steal it out of greed
    then they just lose your money out of ineptitude rather than steal it out of greed
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out whether they are dicks to deal with. I'll look into some local services too but dealing with that not getting paid bit can be a bitch.

• S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
  • KrinkKrink Riding Level: 79
    From a friend of mine who works for Snugs:
    Who needs a job? No Exp required, professional pressure washer. Looking for 2 possibly 3 guys for different shifts, different hours. Look up the company online at snugsservices.com.
    Must not be afraid of heights, Not scared of a 40' ladder. Also need a license.
    If interested Ill put you in contact with him.
  • SpokiiSpokii Riding Level: 122
    posmaets is wurkin fur mee. Sumitmes I wurk a lot, sumitmes i do not. I git paid ilectronicly. Wun our daliver is eesy.
    @Spokii solid review, thanks. I got a job now though doing metal/wood work. V tite, cash $
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    Plz halp, I need an adult.

I'm trying to write a resume, and I'm having a difficult time trying to describe what my job duties entail. If the "Essential Functions" of a job description I'm applying for basically describe the job I have, can I just copy/paste those into my resume and edit as appropriate? I'd also have a note (either in the resume or cover letter) explaining why that section looked familiar.

@Miguel
    @Bamfs01
    @krink
    ?
    edited April 2015
    Copy and paste, no. Just describe as simply as possible the actual things you do most regularly/on a daily basis. You want to demonstrate why your past experience qualifies you for the job in a way that isn't just "I do this now". You have to stand out in this market, and copying and pasting just looks lazy, explanation or not. Writing a resume is a learned skill and there's a lot of great info on the internet about how to do it and you can usually find someone to help you put one together in a snap.
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,327
    There are new resume rules
    List relevant work experience
    List relevant educational experience
    List skills you have relevant to the job and how you are the best candidate in a mission statement or cover letter.

No references are necessary, just a documentable work history - can HR call and verify employment? Better go sweet talk your HR dept because, even though it's illegal, things can be said - or not said - to indicate how well you performed.

I work at a job where work experience and mastery of materials is the most important thing so I can only give you advice on how to apply for that. You are a radio engineer? Not sure how to apply for that sort of job.

Get a haircut, get your beard trimmed, press your pants.
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,342
    NEVER PUT THE PANTS BACK ON
  • bbqrossbbqross Riding Level: 87
    bring them to the interview and stand them in the corner. to display superior pant-starching dominance.
  • whitefolkswhitefolks Riding Level: 192
    @Miguel said:
    even though it's illegal, things can be said - or not said - to indicate how well you performed.

i hate how often this mistruth is repeated.

they can't make shit up about you that didnt happen, but if you were a shitty worker with multiple absences, and quit via no-call/no-show they can say exactly that.

Now, granted certain corporations have internal policies that limit wat HR says to duties and time of employment, but that really is there only there from the Legal Dept. to limit libel cases…but there is no law saying they can't say what that want within the limits of the truth.
    @Miguel said:
    You are a radio engineer? Not sure how to apply for that sort of job.
    Radio engineer is easy to understand -- resume shows if you've got enough experience at the job to bother interviewing you, interview determines where you lie on the dickishness scale, and that (along with the Chief Engineer's point on the dickishness scale) determines if you get offered the job.

The problem is communicating a radio engineer's job responsibilities/duties to a non-radio engineer in a way that isn't either too broad (If it plugs into the wall, I maintain it. If it mounts on the wall, I hang it. If it goes through the wall, I strung it.) or specific to the point of non-transferability (I have 10.3 years of experience installing and maintaining PR&E BMX, RMX, and Wheatstone E-series audio mixing consoles, along with 3.5 years of experience maintaining Harris FM-K, Z-CD, and BE FM2, FM3 and FM5 broadcast transmitters).

My main problem is I can't figure out how maintain professional respectability while saying that the two main parts of my job are unfucking seemingly intentionally fucked up shit under hard (and typically tight) deadlines and, when not doing that, arranging shit to render it unfuckupable by people who sit alone in a room and talk to themselves for a living.

More seriously, the transferrable skills from my job are planning skills and resourcefulness under pressure, along with not being afraid of sufficiently advanced technology, and I'm having trouble communicating that in more than a sentence but less than a five paragraph essay.
    I don't think you need more than a couple sentences for that part. Explain in general terms that a large function of your job is resolving issues in real time, under pressure with tight deadlines. Maybe give a short example.
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,342
    just copy and paste
    it comes full circle
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,327
    server gig
    5/15
    4-11pm
    $100 cash
    $125 bike store credit
    get at me asap