Escaping Society

mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
We don't have a camping/ emergency preparedness thread yet. So here it is. So I gatta get camping and I know Brucey loves to get out to te beach. What's y'alls summer plans?

Additionally, what is your fav bug out pack? Not the items, just the pack... should I get an Andy & bax pack? Group buy?

Comments

• mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,316
    THERE IS POOP IN THE WATER YOU CAN'T DRINK IT
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,145
    There is a vast fucking difference between "can't" and "shouldn't". *drinks water straight from tap while sitting on the toilet, shitting liquid*
    NOW YOUR POOP *IS* THE WATER
  • KrinkKrink Riding Level: 79
    You rang?

sumr4eva plans are cycling, camping, backpacking, hiking, fishing, shooting, gettin swole and outings combining many of the above.

bug out bags. I have my backpack gear ready to go because I always dread the week before a trip getting everything ready. I figure add a gun and comms to equal the internets idea of a BOB. Those 2 items can be in car already.

Fav bag is Dakine Guide which is 55L. Just bought a REI Crestrail 70L to go further harder, better, faster, stronger. Ive only put about 80 miles on the Guide, its works but I obviously bought a better pack for days on end. I would hate to pack most tacticool offerings Ive seen over 10-30 miles. For all the shit, you need a good support system

I cant stand molle, .mil colors or anything that screams tacticool uber operator ninja which is why my OG BOB was the dakine. Its low key. Personally, the last thing I would want when trying to go somewhere would be attention from people or mil/LEO/gun nuts. I also do not want to be instantly associated with mil or gun nuts, preppers by physical identifiers. Molle, olive drab, coyote brown, etc = military.

I dont know what else to say. I like turtles?
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,279
    What's up with durable ultralight gear? Get me into a cooking set up that weighs <1lb.

I'm pretty into my lil hammock and I got a 3/4 thermarest that works really well. I have a 20deg poly bag that weight 3lbs but it packs so bulky. I would rather car camp with the big wool and down and cotton 20lb bags if it were up to me.

I have a trumark slingshot. Not gonna get into guns.
    I made some molle stuff and I like the options. Lil bags here and there. I'm getting pretty good building bags and whatnot
  • SpokiiSpokii Riding Level: 116
    edited May 2014
    It seems every time I go bike packing, I pack less and less. The less you bring the better. Most comfort is lacking on the road due to being extra prepared for a one night stay. Then again, I've never owned a touring bike. Grab food/exrtas in the nearest town. I still want to ride to San Francisco again, but more like August this time. Also, more beach trips other than cape lookout, perhaps Stubb Stewart again, and more river camping for sure. Cause it rocks. What about an easy Portlandfixed ride to Barton Park?

Camping this year...

With Ryno to visit Krink at Cape Lookout.

With Allison and Justin to Tillamook

With Lurvey past Estacada
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    I think I wanna try a bivy sack once it gets reliably dry. that or a hammock.
    Yo dry/warm weather bivy sack wise take a look at Polarstuffs mystic tarpent. It's cheap as hell but not badly thought out. I might pick one up for my brobro and one for my bug out bag.
    Ah, that's actually pretty cool. Is it any more of a "thermal barrier" than a normal tarp?
    @miguel @jerry @krink chime in?
    tarp > bivy ALWAYS, unless you are having a crazy bug problem, but I'd rather do a bug net pouch under a tarp instead.

tarptent, single person tent, hennesy hammock, regular hammock, I'd pick anything over a bivy sack.
    edited May 2014
    ok, good to know. i've done 1-2 person tent+poles+sleeping pad+sleeping bag a few times and it's overkill. edit: see bruce's last picture..
    get a hold of some tyvek vapor barrier (construction supply place) and mess around with making your own tarp to see if you like it before dropping coin on sil-nylon. tyvek is similar to goretex in that it breathes well and doesn't let water through.
    edited May 2014
    Yea...tarpent has reflective emergency blanket side to it so it can be warm. Step up from 30$ reusable blanket same shit as $150+ bivys. Or diy that shit like @jerry is saying.
    would totally buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Tyvek-Ground-Adhesive-Grommet-Campcovers/dp/B00AVLSTPQ

comes with 8 grommets too so you can do the corners and middles!
    make your own gear. camping gear is fucking EXPENSIVE. of course, you arent going to make a nice sleeping pad but tents/tarps/bivys/rainflys/bags etc etc can be experimented with. tarptents and bivys are really easy to make if you have materials. i would not buy a poler anything.

i like my little eno doublenest hammock for sleeping but you need some practice if you are a sidesleeper or move around. i had a bag on top of a 3/4 thermarest in the hammock and woke up only slightly damp. temps were down to the 40s and no precip. seemed fine, would be a different story if it was raining. a rainfly or tarp over would work for dew but it really wasnt a problem last weekend in mid/eastern oregon.

for bugs there is 'no-see-um' mesh available for about $10/yd at every fabric store in town. i have 2 yds im gonna play with.

would also totally buy this instead of a bivy:

http://marmot.com/products/details/starlight-1p

video is hilarious
    @miguel sub 1lb budget kitchen. Kmart grease pot, ti spork, cheap china stove, potholder. I only boil water to do "freezerbag cooking". Im able to stay light, eat well and have little clean up.

You can get a little bit lighter with this setup but I like it as configured. diff pot holder, use the other lid that came with grease pot, lose the stove case, maybe a different stove. Weight weenie stuff.

Also, you can recreate this set up very cheaply or you can spend a lot more on higher end name brand pot, stove, stuff.

google fu the "kmart grease pot". it is a very popular lightweight bkpk item.

that gas can is probably half full so weight may be off by a couple oz.

I just went camping with Bruce again last weekend. So fun. The fires keep getting bigger and better.
    edited June 2014
    It's not our fault the neighboring campers didn't use all their firewood before bed. Ben hooked it up on the fish he caught earlier that day too. Bonus!
    That cook setup looks good.

My next goal is to make some kind of lightweight quilt/not a SOL blanket (sub 3oz?) so I can pack my hammock and quilt for long brevets. I have a 600 this weekend and a superlightweight napping set up (for 2-4hr sleep) would be awesome.

I was thinking a rip stop nylon outer/reflective mid/light cotton inner but all that weighs a lot.
    @Miguel Just make your own camping gear! Get some tin foil then make any pot in any size you desire in an instant! Forks, spoons, windscreens, you name it! Plus it is super ultra light weight!
    or don't
    Hey-O, I got two of these Goal Zero Boulder 15 Solar panels. Currently you can get them for $90 a piece and pay shipping. http://www.goalzero.com/p/20/boulder-15-solar-panel/23:3/

Or you can buy the two extra I have for $125 for the pair or $65 for one.
  • rock_deathrock_death Riding Level: 395
    Y'all have any good s24o recommendations? Going to shred this weekend
  • whitefolkswhitefolks Riding Level: 192
    bummed this wasn't about which messenger bag would survive the coming black cancer
    edited February 2015
    How is that truck lyfe going? You still have yet to give me a ride!
  • rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,438
    kill yr smart phone