• TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    Wtb a hip pouch for my small thangs
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    You want me to make you one?
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    @miguel
    will you make me one??
    I can, I'm leaving for vacation on Friday AM. Is it worth $20? I think I have some black cordura or xpac(same stuff revelate, etc uses)
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    shit bro I'd buy an xpac hip pouch for my small things
    I'd absolutely pay $20! Whenever you've got spare time.
    Ok, how big? To fit 1 tall can sideways or 2 regular cans side by side? Do you want it lined? It will weigh more if lined but it might be more water resistant(like, maybe you are just barely waist deep in still water?) I'll probably add a little pocket inside for cards/cash and maybe a key loop if you have a carabiner or something like that. Standard width belt loops, maybe wide enough to fit a krypto mini. Velcro closure?
    I will see if I have any time tonight, this week is hectic.
    jerry" said:
    so, i just want to be clear here about these techy materials. i'll introduce you to a couple here and explain what makes them better or worse.

xpac polyant (vx02/07/21/42/etc) is a sailcloth materia, it is a durable and strong fabric that is able to stand up to winds and not rip while weighing less than a comparable strength-to-weight ratio material (cordura, rip stop nylon, etc). when not used as a sailcloth this stuff is good for stuff sacks as it will not (usually) rip anywhere before the seams go. this is great, right? well, it has a life and it's generally shorter than other fabrics. the xpac is a laminated rip stop fabric and after heavy use (see: 1 season as a frequently used handlebar bag) it will start to delaminate and 'crack' (not really crack but there are 'veins' for lack of a better word). the positive? it's light. it probably weighs half what cordura weighs.

which brings be to cordura. cordura (brand name) is your favorite material. you might know cordura from such bags reload, baileyworks, chrome, black star and every other messenger bag company that was awesome in 2005-6-7-8-9-10. cordura is a plain woven poly fabric that looks a lot like canvas. in the olden days they used cordura for sailcloth but then they logged on to weight weenies and started shaving grams. cordura has a great strength-to-weight ratio, is generally cleanable and only breaks down on misuse/abuse. it weighs more than the xpac stuff generally, but there are different weights as well.

in my opinion, if you are going to want to keep something and get a lot of use out of it then i would choose the more burly fabric (cordura). if you are concerned with weight then use the lighter fabric (xpac). don't expect an xpac bag to live as long as a cordura bag, don't expect a cordura bag to weigh as little as the xpac bag.
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    omfg.
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    bamfs01 said:
    omfg
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    yes
    I was waiting for that.
    i knew somebody would post that
    but really, this is the same kind of comparison you would have when talking about carbon vs steel frames or alloy vs carbon wheels. strength-to-weight and durability.
    @jerry said:
    @miguel said:
    Ok, how big? To fit 1 tall can sideways or 2 regular cans side by side? Do you want it lined? It will weigh more if lined but it might be more water resistant(like, maybe you are just barely waist deep in still water?) I'll probably add a little pocket inside for cards/cash and maybe a key loop if you have a carabiner or something like that. Standard width belt loops, maybe wide enough to fit a krypto mini. Velcro closure?
    - 2 cans side by side
    - yes lined please
    - i like pockets
    - i use biners
    - yes velcro please
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    edited July 2014
    I also have a Chrome hip pouch if anyone is interested. It's nicely made, I just don't use it nearly enough to justify keeping it. Used it for a while as a tool pouch in my main bag. US made, water resistant, belt loops, u-lock holster, inner zip pocket. 1000d cordura, tarp lined, grey with white panel.

http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/hip-pouch
  • NoahGendaNoahGenda Riding Level: 38
    Mig I would buy one too, same thing as Slam wants
    Ok
    I'll see what I can do. Might have to wait til I get back
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    can we get into how antiquated denier ratings are?
  • ElReverendoElReverendo Riding Level: 71
    edited July 2014
    FOUND:

WTB (no longer): Road wheelset 130 QR rear/100 QR front
    Tires included would be fantastic.

Would prefer a freehub for a cassette.

Campy rear wheel with a campy 10sp cassette would be really dandy.

Not looking at spending much money. Just trying to get a cheap road bike together.
    edited July 2014
    WTB: Also considering buying a complete (or semi-complete) fixed or SS bike. Must have brake compatibility (at least front and rear). Fender tabs are a big plus. Cantilevers even better. Wide tire clearance? YES, that'd be great. However, I'd settle for less.

Again, not looking at spending a lot of money. Would even be happy for an old Kilo TT or the like plus a shit fixed/free wheelset.

I am 5'9" with short legs. So a 52-54cm frame would be best.
    introduce yourself before I delete these
  • NoahGendaNoahGenda Riding Level: 38
    Just delete that shit
    dude has no idea what he wants/needs
    I just want a commuter that isn't a 1958 Columbia Rambler that is one thread duct tape away from total collapse.
    anyone got a shit 29er tire kicking around? or like a 50c+ thing thinging around? will pay $3
  • kevin Riding Level: 6
    I got that 54 track bike up in marketplace

Is good, you buy pls
    edited July 2014
    I'd consider it if it had brake mounts.
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    edited July 2014
    drill the fork and buy the rear keirin brake that lucas got from me.
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    edited July 2014