Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

Comments

• S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    @jerry You can def hear the difference when tapping if there's delamination. Even on a tiny chip in a steer tube.

If you're trying to find the words to say "flood it with epoxy", you're about right. You wanna remove any cracks before rebuilding the area though or they'll continue to propagate underneath your added material.
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    Hmm, I rode it for almost a year and it didn't change, so maybe it's not bad.
    I RODE YOU EVERYDAY FOR A YEAR!
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Ok now we're fuckin talkin
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    RDQ: Let's say I changed the spacers out on a 126 or a 130 spaced freewheel hub to make it fit a 120 spaced frame without having to stretch/widen the stays or anything. How big of a freewheel could I fit in there? 5 speed? 6? Not enough information given to make a definitive answer? Too pointless a project to even bother with, just get a Sturmey-Archer or something?
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    why are you trying to put gears on a track bike
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    and Dan what I was trying to get across was that lurveys untrained Canadian ears wouldn't be able to tell, not that the tap test isn't useful
    sorry

mapleleaf.jpg
    @Miguel - Because the bike I have is a singlespeed and the commute I have needs many speeds. Or at least more than one.

@jerry - For $300 I could probably get a basharound bike that would work at least as well. I've seen references to a 120 spaced freehub that Shimano supposedly made way back when, but I haven't seen one outside of questionable-looking eBay auctions.

Possibly related question: Instead of trying to kludge together bike parts, would it be a better use of time to update my resume and find a job that isn't in the ass-end of Tigard?
    stack paper
    get a better bike atmo
    @wookie im not sure if you can even buy that thing yet, but figured that would give a good idea of what's possible. I'd go the IG hub route, or stack paper
    edited July 2014
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bik/4483104049.html
    winter bike, y/n? obvs change that derpy setup a bit. i can't really tell what size it is though.
    @jerry
    no way! that's the 26er version so it must be tiny
    That looks to be the same size as my monocog, 17". I'm 176.5 cm tall and feel real good on it mtbing.
    Bummer that it's not disc and doesn't have sliding dropouts bur still probably a great bar bike atmo.
    hmm, i rode dan's and i think it was teeny. bummer
    i might still go check it out.
    Dude no
    Get a 29 or 650b
    26 is done
    Rim brakes are over
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Uncle Mikey, the ultimate naysayer.
    edited July 2014
    fred_armisen_as_skid.gif
    Edit: underscores to reduce ambiguity
    Tbh id prob ride it thru the winter and then toss it.
    edited July 2014
    but, yea too small.
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    My lower abdomen and back are in serious pain from a bike accident the other day. The pain is constant and radiates down to my testes. Do I have a hernia Dr. Jerry?
    Kidding, but not really kidding :/
    yeah probably, or internal bleeding causing swelling
    Hmm, kinda what I thought. Not sure what I should do, if anything. Def can't afford a doctor/hospital visit. Pain is not getting better or going away. It's weird because it didn't really get seriously noticeable until late last night, but the wreck was midday Wed.
    Isn't there something where people who get hit by cars sometimes feel fine right after the accident but start getting aches/pains a good chunk of time after the accident? ~18 hours does seem a little long for that though.

Yeah I was sore all over my right side from the accident, but didn't feel the abdominal pain like this until late last night which would have been a bit over 24 hours, Maybe like 30 or so. Pain is on my lower right side of abdomen and radiates to my lower back and down to my right nut. It's like a constant blue ball, or similar to perpetual punches to the teste/abdominal area. Really rather uncomfortable
    yep, your insides are broken.