Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

Comments

• mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    Anyone have experience getting the best, most cheapest airplane tickets? I need one to Austin, Tx 7/13/14 and one back to PDX on 7/16/14 All I know to really work with is Kayak.
  • bschultzbschultz Riding Level: 383
    ^this
  • RickymareRickymare Riding Level: 633
    @mixtieme Have you tried checking out Spirit Airlines? I usually fly through them because its cheap.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    Cheaptickets,com
  • AllOutOfBubblegumAllOutOfBubblegum Riding Level: 86
    Is there any way to get Pacific Source(my medical insurance) to pay for a pro bike fit?

• MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    Ask your primary. Just ask.
    Say there are concerns (pain?) with certain parts of your body (hips arms hands neck knees etc) and it is worsened when you ride your bike - your primary form of transpo/thing you do for fun/etc. You think maybe it would help to get a referral for a professional bike fit. That's one way to do it but you are going to pay copay to see the primary for -possibly- nothing/no referral.

Now real talk here, are you actually putting in miles? Do you really think a bike fit is going to make your bike experience better? Do you have goals in mind? What is the bike fit for? If your answer is "I want a custom bike" that is the wrong answer.

I mean, when I had my first fit all Amy did was position my cleats (which is a very valuable service - pay $50 and get this done for you) and move my saddle back a little. I had adjusted everything very close to where it needed to go. Even then after, my body changed and my setup is a bit different (reach and setback).

Do the 'competitive cyclist' fit calculator. Read the 'eddy' fit. Adjust your bike at or near the suggested specifications. Ride that for a few weeks/months. If you don't have a bike that fits in those parameters then get one and try it. Sure, you may think you are a special snowflake (you really are!) but you are probably going to fit an off-the-peg frame. Unless your arms are actually like t-rex and your hips are where your ribs should be.

Now take into consideration what a fit costs: $150-500. If you are serious about dropping some moneys on bikes, figure that into the equation.
    Asked my wief about Pacific source and she said that if it's in your plan (alternative care) then you might be good to go. You have to ask
  • AllOutOfBubblegumAllOutOfBubblegum Riding Level: 86
    edited June 2014
    Def not going custom anytime soon. Just tired of screwing with fit constantly and still being uncomfortable. I'll do the competitive one again.

I figure if I can get a pro fit for a copay then why not?

Then If I'm still uncomfortable at least I'll know I'm just being a pussy and I don't need to change anything.

Thanks
    i dont know what exactly are your concerns but there are lots of factors to get comfortable on the bike. if you are noticing pain or something is seriously awry then you should change it. carry a lil multitool and adjust stuff ever so slightly. learn what those adjustments are (saddle height/position fore/aft/tilt, hood location, stem length, cleat position, to start) and experiment. it's going to take time and only you will know what will make you feel good. a pro fitter is not going to be able to tell you what makes you feel good, which is why i say start with the CCFitCalc. Another reason why you shouldnt get a "pro" fit is because you don't have any specific goals. some people want to race, some people want more power, some people want to fit their bodies to non custom bikes. i wanted an endurance machine that i could sit on for a long while. of all the things that changed the way i rode my bike, a cleat adjustment was the most valuable. i'm not kidding, night and day. crank on 28/SE ash does cleat adjustment.

if i were you i might try to go down to one of the (big box?) shops (bike gallery has one) and ask for some things like actual saddle height. there is a tool that you stand over and it has a spring and ruler and will tell you exactly where you want it. that is really helpful because your leg length doesnt change a whole lot but you will need to adjust the saddle height for longer cranks, etc. Of course, wear your stretchy pants and blah blah.

something else that happened when i started getting more fit and putting on miles is i wanted more setback. it always felt like the bike was too small. then i wanted more stem. it's weird how your fitness can change the way you fit your bike. also, stretch and strengthen. if you arent doing recovery right your gains arent going to be as good as they could be (i really should take this advice myself). and yeah, be wary of free advice. do what you want.
    i dont always spout bullshit
    but when i do its about how i got my bikes to fit
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    something else that happened when i started getting more fit and putting on miles is i wanted more setback.
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    My teammate who does some fitting moves cleats so that the axle is right under your pinky toe's first knuckle. That generally situates it just behind the ball of the foot rather than right under the ball of the foot. Then you change your saddle height and setback to optimize flexion and do the knee-over-pedal-spindle business.

Cockpit fit is all about flexibility and application, atmo.
    hehe, reminds me of kyle and i giving kendra a drunk bike fit
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Go Commuter fit

I like to get as upright as I can for purposes of comfort
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    The idea of paying professional medical/physical therapy prices for a LBS employee who took a 2-day "fit training class" to give you a proper fit, is something that makes me scratch my head.
    yeah, there's also a difference between a fit with performance goals in mind and a fit with comfort in mind.
    The idea of paying professional medical/physical therapy prices for a LBS employee who took a 2-day "fit training class" to give you a proper fit, is something that makes me scratch my head.
    That's why you don't go to a bike shop for a medical fit. You go to Russell Cree or Michael Sylvester or someone like that.
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    does anyone know a good plumber i've got some additions i'd like to make

My steerer tube started splintering after a certain bike mechanic mangled it up cutting it. I ran it for a while, then stopped after feeling sketched out. The splinters are only like 1mm deep, but like 1" at the longest.
    Here's a pic:
    Is it a death trap and should it be thrown in the garbage? Would it be ok if I had the stem completely over the steerer with a spacer on top?
    @s_l_d_ @jerry
    what type of fork, what steer tube diameter, and where does the stem clamp contact the steer tube in relation to all that fuckery?
    edited July 2014
    Alpha Q CX fork, the one with straight blades, not the curved ones. 1 1/8". the fuckery is right on the backside, where the stem bolts on. @jerry
    Hey Jerry.

My girlfriend needs a shimano MTB FD bottom/dual pull derailleur for 3x9. Do you have any recommendations that are cheap-ish?
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    Aren't all mtb front derailleurs cheap?
    Yeah, relatively. She is looking to spend around 20ish.
    @lurvey depending on how large of an area it is it can be fixed. If the damage is only fiber tearout from a botched cutting but there's no crack propagation it's probably ok. If the cracks are getting worse, don't ride it.

Try doing a tap test to check for delamination. use the absolute cutest ball peen hammer you can find and tap around the area. cracks/delamination will produce a duller, deadened sound. the ball end of a 5-6 mm allen key works ok too.

if you're still really worried about it, email that photo and the info to me at dan@ruckuscomp.com and we can figure it out.
    Go to city bikes
    Get one that says "xt" on it
    @lurvey that's like the worst possible place for that fuckery to line up with your stem, since it wants to push the "good" fibers into the gap left where shit was ripped out.

skip the tap test, you won't be able to hear a difference on the very end of the steer tube like that, at least not with any sort of accuracy to say hey dis fuck me no happy.

@S_L_D_ do you guys have that nano-particle resin that's gonna give us all nano-cancer? seems like you could whip some of that into the fuckery gap and hone that bitch down, keeping the good shit from going bad shit.
    @Rickymare this one is 19 bucks and pushes the chain around, unless she needs a power-bottom

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=65299&category=76
    also
    @S_L_D_ said:
    absolute cutest ball peen
    eh, i think imma just get a natty boii fork from phomma and not fux with carbon.