Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

Comments

• bschultzbschultz Riding Level: 383
    edited June 2014
    what sq taper crank puller has dual 15mm flats?
    like this
    imageimage

bike hand. cool
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    DOES NOT COMPUTE
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    jerry said:
    DOES NOT COMPUTE
  • bschultzbschultz Riding Level: 383
    hengh
  • bouticrackabouticracka Riding Level: 308
    edited June 2014
    Motobecane phantom cross, y/n?
    If yes, thoughts on setting it up ss.
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    edited June 2014
    arent you old enough to get a real bike? you know, one that isnt made with garbage and speccd with crap? fuck no. hell no. no bikes direct bikes. stack a little paper and get into a good used cross frame from craigslist or an allcity, ritchey, milwaukee, or something mid level. cmon. youre gonna hate any bike you get from bikesdirect and you will end up riding it a year then neglecting it because it sucks and you think you hate riding bikes. im not kidding. and unless you're someone like parker who spent a ton on a bunch of bikes only to decide it's easier to turn a throttle on a moto than it is to put on stretchy pants and ride in your free time, don't do that. get a steel bike. in fact, since you're in portland you might even find somebody's old custom that will fit you.

tldr: stop buying shitty bikes
    Damn, that was like the nicest/best advice you have ever given me. And I totally agree but I've never owned any types of bikes other than fixed and bmx, so I just find it hard to invest a lot of money into a a project I potentially won't like.
    or you could tell mig to STFU and buy a fantom CXX and put mini-v's on it and be happy.
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    coming from exclusively riding fixie for ~4 years, a roadie (I guess cx too) will be the best/funnest/fastest/versatile bike you'll have.
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    i guess i shouldn't say funnest, cuz all bikes are fun for different reasons.
    recommend me some hot sauces

Tabasco Verde
    Tabasco chipotle
    Tapatio
    Cholula
    Sriracha
    Aardvark

???
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    Gatta flavor the fuck out of some rice?
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    Big fan of Tapatio and cotija with rice.
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    edited June 2014
    http://www.hotmamasalsapdx.com/where.html
    Their hot sauce is the shit!
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Mae Ploy Sweet Chili is the way to go on rice.
    bouticracka" said:
    Damn, that was like the nicest/best advice you have ever given me. And I totally agree but I've never owned any types of bikes other than fixed and bmx, so I just find it hard to invest a lot of money into a a project I potentially won't like.
    which is why you buy something with value that will not depreciate as much as some cheap trash bike because if you don't like it you can turn around and sell it for as much as you paid for it.

i curiously looked on CL to see if there was anything workable in a 59-60-61 (which is about your size?) and i couldnt find anything i liked. i looked at BD and saw that the bike you were considering was speccd with 18 or 27 speed tiagra/sora mix. that's 9 speed pal. like, 2 generations ago. so then i was like, ok, $600 complete + ship. oof. not gonna find much for that especially right now, mid bike season/pre cx season. if you want a cx bike wait til mid/late cx season when the guys trying to offload their old rigs are getting desperate for holiday money. lots of stuff pops up around november/december.

but as i said before, stack paper. keep riding your bike you have now (or get a loaner for that HT issue) and save up. here is what you want to buy:

- Road or cross frame in your size (figure that out, do the competitive cyclist fit calculator, it will get you close to what you want, do the eddy fit). get something with fender mounts. thank me later.

- ultegra 6800 shifty bits (brifters/fd/rd)(this is the best shifting i have ever used. holy shit so good)

- decent handbuilt wheels and some well reviewed tires (resist nomads are nice for $22)

if you have these things you are on the way to a good bike experience. i've had my share of crappy bikes and bikes set up wrong and now i know what is important and what will help you love your bike.
    i curiously looked on CL to see if there was anything workable in a 59-60-61 (which is about your size?) and i couldnt find anything i liked.
    This is pretty cool.

No idea what it should be priced at.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4515526421.html
    i was looking for cross but that bike is pretty sweet. dont really care for the quill stem or sram bits but otherwise...
  • NoahGendaNoahGenda Riding Level: 38
    edited June 2014
    @bouticracka I will give you a sweetheart deal on a Salsa Las Cruces, 59cm

I am thinking:

F/F/HS
    Alex Wheelset
    SS Chain tensioner (shimano Alfine)
    Shimano R700 crank with Salsa ring and bashguard
    Cane Creek SCR5 brake levers
    Shimano canti's
    Salsa Shaft seatpost

No pedals, saddle, cassette (cuz SS), batrape.

Phantom Cross UNO is $450, I would sell this setup for the same cost.

Only caveat is it will be in pieces, for some parts, or I can put it together but I am a shoddy mechanic.
    There ya go!

@bouticracka you could sell bits off your Fuso and be halfway there.

Actually including the Wound Up you would be there.
    too small
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    Lol at recommending a new(er) 11sp 6800 group to a dude on a budget for a first time road/cross bike. Other than that I agree with Michael though.

That Slawsa would be a rad first timer, esp for the price. May be borderline on size for you though bouti, You's a tall dood
    Yeah, how tall is he I forget, like 6'3"?

Its way too big for me at 6'
    I run it with like 2.5" of seatpost
    6800 is the best. not even kidding. just try the front shifting.
    edited June 2014
    well, that bike fit says i need:
    tt: 58.5cm
    st cc:57.5cm
    st ct: 59cm
    stem: 110mm
    bb sadle pos: 77cm
    saddle handlebar: 59cm
    saddle setback: 7cm
    seatpost type: setback

i probably measured incorrectly because what it spat out is pretty much how i have had my madison set up...
    @noahgenda pending the sale of parts from my fuso id be interested.
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4514867190.html

cross bikes are for suckers, #yolo
    Keep me in the loop, I havent been really advertising it too much