Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

Comments

• jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    it probably won't explode, but i sure as shit wouldn't ride it
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    If it's steel you can get it replaced, maybe. Eric Estlund/winter bicycles does stuff like that, also spectrum in (Pennsylvania?) does fixed like that.

But then you're getting into new frame prices, and if that then drop a grand on something custom that actually fits and does what you want
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    Bro just ensure the ID is correct, wrap it in fiberglass, then wrap that in carbon.

PS don't tell anyone you can totally fix a metal bike with carbon fiber because then people will ask us to do it.
    idk get Doug to braze on a new headtube?
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Ok I got the chain looking good on the coaster.
    Now question #2 ...

There is an irritating noise coming from the rear hub over bumps in the pavement.
    Just a little clink.

Example:
    I pick up the rear wheel and bounce it with cog in 'forward' position on hub and clink.
    I do the same but with the cog in the 'brake' position by moving pedal back and no clink.

Can I get rid of this or is it just a side effect of a $10 coaster hub?

So far: loosened, tightened, checked arm attached to frame, checked spokes ...
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    I think you might need to adjust the drive side cone making sure that the cog is pushed all the way forwards in "drive". I thought I put the cone nut in exactly the right spot on my coaster hub, but after mounting it and everything, now it's loose again and the wheel kinda wobbles on the axle if the cog isn't in "brake".

The noise could also be the shoe rattling around inside the hubshell, in which case you can't do much but pack more grease in it.
    MORE GREASE!!!!!!!
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    edited June 2014
    Who makes something like this but that isn't $160?
    http://theradavist.com/2014/06/quick-easy-tanner-goods-porter-handlebar-bag/
    edited June 2014
    seems like something North Blaqstar (you heard me) could do up in backpack materials, or get a cheap travel pouch and some straps from REI

revelate also has their Pocket for ~$40
    Seems a little bit small to be anything but real twee urban porteur gear. It would be a pretty neat gf or euro-bro product if the straps extended to convert it into a purse off the bike.

I mean, it's basically this

with reoriented shorter straps.
    Is bikepacking a gateway drug to designer luggage? more at 11:00.
    I can make one like that for not $160. But that isn't a really good way to haul a bag full of stuff.
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    seems like it would sway when out of the saddle. would be better with straps that would tighten everything down to the handlebars. i guess revelate tangle would be better. ok, no more bag or camping questions from me.
    Revelate tangle is aspensive. Try a jandd frame bag.

If you load that barrel bag it will sway in the saddle.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Almost broke the hub putting it back together ... might be broken actually but working.
    Put a ton of grease in and the noise is gone. Dix advice comes through again.

Someone threw this in the dumpster at my apartments.
    Most of the components were toast so I put a coaster wheel on.
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    Nice rescue!
    Oh man I'd jump that into the river so hard
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Awesome find! You gonna hang onto it?
  • TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    What's a good jis taper bb under $50 I've used a Miche Primato before and it worked well for $20, are there any other options that you know of?
    Shimano with the problem solvers metal cup
    or are you talking ISO?
  • MacheteMachete Riding Level: 151
    @lurvey, this one is considerably less expensive and made in the USA

http://www.acornbags.com/hdlbarbag.html
    edited June 2014
    The free cruiser/klunker I finally got around to making rideable needs a new fork. ~$30 for a SunLite hi-ten one or $50 for a Dimension CroMo one? Looking more for "won't fold up descending a fire trail" and less for just about anything else.

edit: Included links so I don't have to find them in my browser history.
    edit edit: Whaddya mean, "bookmark"?
    that hi-ten fork sounds like a booby trap
    Yeah, it's actually about $18 on Amazon, but with $12 shipping.

You should see the current fork. It might actually be a booby trap.
    edited June 2014
    Also, for future reference, what's the best way to remove one-piece cranks with a seized NDS pedal? Sawzall the crankarm or sawzall the pedal spindle?
    the pedal spindle is probably decent case hardened cromo steel, whereas the crankarm is bullshit cast crap
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    I have a good 1" threaded MTB fork around here somewhere but the canti posts are for 700c.

so you should put a big wheel up front