Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

Comments

• bouticrackabouticracka Riding Level: 308
    Idk where to ask this but what's the best way to get to Kelly pt. park? Maps says Vancouver to marine drive.
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Never been but those are both very bike-friendly paths... Pray for no wind on Marine
  • bouticrackabouticracka Riding Level: 308
    Okay rad. I think once you get below 33rd ish the path crosses over to the south side of marine drive. Fingers crossed.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    There is a bike path that starts just south of PIR and goes through the slough too.

Or WIllamette.
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    The Slough path goes all the way to N Vancouver now -- it meets up on the Northeast side of the new bridge over the slough.
  • TimTim Riding Level: 2
    New question you fucks

#jerry

My karate monkey is dope but sometimes a single speed MTV is like riding a fat whale, my gf goes way faster than me. Is it too much to put a faster gear on it since the tires are a lot to move? Also I am kinda sketched about throwing gears on it cus I break shit a lot, I feel like gears are just so much goods hanging off a bike.

And let's shred broughton on Saturday
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,339
    your girlfriend is faster than you cuz SHE RIDES HER BIKE ALL THE TIME.

go buy a pair of cheap 37-45c commuter/touring/cross tires (~$30-40 total) and put your dangler and gears on and it'll be like a whole new fast bike.

that's the Surly advantage, a few bucks and an hour and you're on a whole new bike.

#surly #chalupa #666
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    Or, you know, don't commute on a MTB.
    you know, if he was commuting on a MTB, I might've said the same thing, but he's not, so shut your fucking mouth.
    ALPHA!!!
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 453
    I stuck a derailleur and cassette on my monocog yesterday. it's a 9 speed XT shifter/derailleur combo and a 9 speed Ultegra cassette. She shifts pretty well, but when I stand up on gears towards the middle of the cassette the chain slips. I don't think it's an autoshift thing, but just the chain slipping on the cassette teeth

Is this because I have a road cassette on here, a worn out chain or a worn out cassette (or both?)

how do I gearz?
    the chain and cassette are definitely worn at different amounts, likely the chain being stretched more than the cogs
    an instigator would be super cool to own until you realized you need to drive to get anywhere worth riding it at, unless you're just fucking off around town. you'll fuck up the fork anyway.

if you really want 26+, go rigid and get a troll or 1x1 and build up a sweet ass set of rabbit holes with dirt wizards/knards. then someday if you want a sus fork, put a 100mm sus fork on it.

way more street cred, way less moving parts.
    @phomma said:
    2 forkz
    Sometimes a Google Image Search goes in a totally different direction than expected.
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    Soma analog frame for dirt tour.
    Yay or nay?
    racks and fenders? nay. the dropouts are total horseshit for doing any of that business. both eyelets on the non-driveside are interfered by the sliding dropout/disc mount. it's very much a "yeah it totally works, just don't expect it to work good, and don't ever assume you'll be happy with it, ever" type situation.

soft bags? yeah i'd rock it, but i'd get someone to re-do the braze-ons for full legnth housing so you don't foul your cables three days in to a ride.
    troll would be a better option if you ever want to be happy with racks and fenders, and the rigid fork is far superior in every way.
    Definitely looking softbags, probably 1X10. havent decided on fork
    and a scabbard of course
    well if you're dead set on 26" wheels, and don't want to do racks, then yeah I could see the Analog being a pretty dope bike. it's pretty much down to that or the troll for a 26" steel hardtail that won't suck ass.

the analog will feel a lot better as a mountain bike, the troll will feel a lot better as a touring bike.

troll is a bit heavier, but also much stiffer and an order of magnitude more bomb-proof. put a rohloff on it when you win the lotto.

analog will feel more compliant and comfortable, as well as lighter, but adds the complexity of having a slider bolt pop out ~60 miles away from civilization and that nasty side to side sway when you're out of the saddle mashing. stupid ass cable routing.

if it were me: mostly mountain biking, with the occasional bikepacking trip, analog. round the world bikepacking steed that will survive 15,000 miles of shit road, troll, with mother fucking rabbit hole rims.

either way, get a troll fork and cut the brake mounts off.

"get a troll and you can fill my giant mouth up with dick!!"
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    lolwat?
    Where can I find a set of "loose" wheel bearings in a retainer clip? I could only find cartridge wheel bearings on Universal.
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,167
    grade 300 bearings
    read: poop
    DAMN, you just spurred me to check loosescrews
    and they're shutting down
    @jerry said:
    That is way more than I asked for but exactly what I needed.
    @Cetke said:
    grade 300 bearings
    read: poop
    If you saw the hub they were going in you'd see how little this matters.
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,322
    salsa offerings for entry steel mtbs are pretty ok. the el mar i have is nice but kind of porky
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    I need a reputable bicycle shop in Ashland. Trying to find someone that can help a chickie with bike fit, saddle specifically.

Anyone?
    great introduction, new guy