Ask J̶e̶e̶v̶e̶s̶ Jerry Thread

CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,165
edited September 2015 in General

The #1 question answering service that delivers the best answers from the web and real people - all in one place. Potland Dixed

Comments

• JoshJosh Riding Level: 823
    If I use a 10sp derailleur as a chain tensioner for a single-speed, does that mean I have to run a 10sp chain also? Or can I do an 8 or a 9
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,320
    as long as the side plates of the derailleur don't contact the chain, you're golden. you shouldn't have an issue with a 9 speed chain, 8 might be cutting it close
  • LurveyLurvey Riding Level: 416
    My dad wants a brooks saddle, and I wanna surprise him with one for his bday. what is the preferred model for old fat white guys?
    B17 or B17 Aged for that classic look, B17 Imperial if he's got a sleepy pee pee
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,294
    Brooks pro is nice
    But what about Gilles berthoud?
    100x better
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,165
    I am looking to buy or build a bike for my big brother as a gift. He lives in NY and will mainly be using it as a commuter and occasionally for longer rides. He is mechanically inclined, but knows fairly little about bikes, so looking for something reliable and fairly easy for him to assemble and to later maintenance when needed.

I'd love to hear some other folks opinions about what they personally would build up for him, or ride themselves if in a similar situation. I realize this is a fixed forum, but I'm looking for recommendations other than fixed or singlespeed. Trying to keep it affordable as possible as I don't have a ton of money, and will still need to ship it to NY. I thought about trying to find something on craigslist local to him as well, but not even sure what to start looking for to be honest. I also feel it would be a lot more personal of a gift to build and send to him rather than just having him buy one I found.

Thoughts?
    Bridgestone rb-t
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 452
    edited May 2014
    Build something that's basically a cross-check. admits 28c tires with fenders. single 42t ring up front, 9 or 10 speed in the back. single downtube shifter or barcon. drop bars with the tektro long-pull hoods so he can run v-brakes. that sorta thing.
    edited May 2014
    Rawland stag or ?sogn (d,r,c,x,y,z)

I realize this is a fixed forum, but I'm looking for recommendations other than fixed or singlespeed.
    You must be new here.

I'd go with a cross check or macho man
    Ugh, the cross check is such garbage.
    i would sooner buy the bikesdirect clone of the crosscheck (motobecane fantom cxx, comes from the same factory (maxway) and has identical geometry, yet better spec (apex) and better dropouts) than pay whatever ridiculous price CC's go for. keep in mind this is coming from a guy who gets paid $1 every time he says Surly and has at one time or another owned nearly every model they've ever produced. the crosscheck is way too over priced for what it is, there's really no excuse for it.

anyway, whenever someone is new to bikes and is just looking to commute and do some longer rides, i almost always try to steer them towards a flat bar hybrid/cross style bike. drop bars suck dick if you don't know what you're doing and are still learning how to dodge potholes. flat bars are fine for most long rides that aren't serious hammerfests, and provide better control and confidence for someone just getting used to the concept of bicycle as ultimate transportation.

kendra's bro just got this bike and it's the shit. yes, it's from walmart and they're a horrible company, but they know how to sell bikes on a 2% margin, and their return policy is as crazy as REI's.

bikesdirect offers a hybrid at nearly any pricepoint starting at ~$230 and going up from there. same idea as walmart, it's a new bike with a warranty and a decent return policy if something is fucked with it. use the saved cash to buy him some tools and a good maintenance guide.

i think we all get up our own asses a little bit since we know what we want and are willing to spend a few paychecks to get it, but that can cause us to lose sight of the fact that a cheap bike is still a bike, and it's usually a pretty sick bike. when i was putting together kendra-bro walmart bike, my first reaction was yeah, it's a walmart bike. but once you put it together and go ride it and put yourself in the mindset of someone who doesn't have a bike they ride every day, that bike is FUCKING SICK. it's a bike, and it's really really light, and it has gears to go up hills or you can go fast, and it has the bigger tires so you can hit bumps or go in dirt, and it has the fenders in case it rains. that's all that a normal person gives a shit about, and kendra-bro was fuckin stoked about those facts!

done deal, satisfied customer, one more car off the road, move along!

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/avenue_fb.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/eclipse1_hybrid.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cxx.htm
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Fifth-Avenue-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike-Gray/26999400
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845
    drops mic
    Also, what is "affordable"?
    $500-1000-1500-2000?
    Determine that and you have a better idea of where to go

Thank you Jerry, That was extremely helpful and you bring up some really good points. He's not a bike snob, he certainly doesn't know who the hell Cielo is, and is not even remotely in the same mindset as we are about bikes. We grew up riding bikes (huffys and janky shit mainly), but he hasn't had one in quite a while and has brought it up a few different times in conversation in the past. I thought it would be really a rad gift. Bikes can be an amazing thing for a multitude of reasons. It doesn't have to be the newest coolest lightest flashiest carbonest stuff out there for people to enjoy, have fun, pollute less, exercise more, etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going with a cross check specifically. Though something similar may be good. I agree about the flat bars and hybrid or cross style bike. That's basically what I was picturing as well, and I think would likely work out best for him. This is a complete surprise for him, so any which way I think he will be super stoked, but I want it to be something that will last and he will actually ride and appreciate. Who knows maybe it will spark something like it did with me and so many others.

Thanks Dan. Sans the drop bars, that is kinda what I had in mind as well and what I'm likely leaning towards.

Miguel, dude you know me. I'm self employed and am definitely not balling hard. Even $500 is not affordable to me as a gift to give in addition to shipping and other parts/tools/gear costs. gaddamn
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,355
    edited May 2014
    @cekte said:
    I want it to be something that will last and he will actually ride and appreciate.
    my brother doesn't know that his bike came from Walmart.... I don't think he'd ride it so proudly (or at all) if he did. Which is silly. But for now he'll ride it and fall in love with it and by the time he figures it out, he'll either not care or he'll have a better idea of what bike he wants instead.

funny that both of our brothers are getting into/ back into bikes!
    He's not a bike snob, he certainly doesn't know who the hell Cielo is
    So are you just inadvertently being a douche or...?
    Wait, are you serious or trolling right now? You're going to try to call me a douche after your initial comment, and regular comments? Pot calling the kettle black much? Haha. It's called a joke Josh.
    @Josh
    You must be new here.
  • S_L_D_S_L_D_ Riding Level: 452
    edited May 2014
    cekte said:
    He's not a bike snob, he certainly doesn't know who the hell Cielo is
    Josh said:
    So are you just inadvertently being a douche or...?
    yo most of the world doesn't give a shit about Cielo. You wanna talk high end steel, you're still talking Vanilla. Shit. Cielo is like some Breadwinner-level shit. Great craftsmanship and w/e, but not even close to a brand that people who aren't immersed in bike shit know about.

I mean str8 up, it's just steel atmo. there's only so much you can do with it no matter your level of artisanship. I'm obvs biased here, but if you want awesome, high-end shit, go with composite. Call Nick Crumpton. get a custom Parlee. shit, even get some hippie Calfee shit.

and if you want to build an awesome bike for your bro, get a burly-ass no-name steel frame from Taiwan, throw a 1 x 9 on it and call it a fuckin day.
    Rob English makes some pretty unique steel frames
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    People who "aren't immersed in bike shit" know that Vanilla is more than an ice cream flavor? I'd be surprised if someone without a bike could name more bike manufacturers than Trek and Schwinn.

Also, for future reference, would an internally geared hub be better or worse than a derailleur in the "gift-bike to person-new-to-biking" application?
    Cekte said:
    Wait, are you serious or trolling right now? You're going to try to call me a douche after your initial comment, and regular comments? Pot calling the kettle black much? Haha. It's called a joke Josh.
    This whole thing was a joke to me: the fact that you're asking advice on a relatively "cheap" and "good" starter bike, when you've been flipping bike parts for profit since before I've known you. Someone who spends as much time and energy as you do, reading about, buying/selling bike shit, and wrenching on bikes, should know where and how much to spend on a beginner's bike for someone. I made a jab at how almost no one rides fixed on portlandfixed, me included, and you took that as an opportunity to talk down on my company, and more specifically, talk down on me for supporting my company. Is there something deeper going on here? Are you pissed that we didn't hire you or something? Guess what: it's a shitty job that you probably would have hated.
    edited May 2014
    @Josh I was trying to ask legitimate questions with friendly debate. You made a jab, I made one back, only you got all butthurt about it. You make jokes all the time, and expect people to take them in stride, which most do. However, I made a joke back and you took it completely to heart, and are continuing to start shit over a simple joke. It was just that, A FUCKING JOKE. I could have said any bike manufacturer but it wouldn't have connected the same as saying Cielo, however it was a joke, you know the kind where you're supposed to laugh about it and get over it because it was meant to be lighthearted from the beginning. Cielos are nice bikes, Your new bike is dope dude, don't get me wrong. Chris King makes some great parts, well rather the employees make great parts. I have a ton of friends who ALSO work there, you know besides you (if you even consider me a friend..). I don't have any problems what so ever with King or Cielo. I still proudly use King parts quite often in fact (when budget permits), and honestly truly enjoy supporting a company that so many of my friends work at and produce parts. Christ, I'm wearing a Chris King shirt as I type this coincidentally enough...

Interesting, because I work with bikes, now I can't ask other peoples opinions on bikes? I look at things in particular ways and solve problem sets in fairly specific manners, as most grow to do. Sometimes it's nice to get others opinions on how they would do something or look at a particular problem. Yes, I live eat sleep bikes. That means I can't ask others opinions on what they think? The stuff I work on is not what I am asking about or what I typically would build for myself by any means. I work on mainly higher end bikes and parts, specifically vintage stuff from the 80s. That is exactly what I am NOT looking for in a bike for my brother, you apparently haven't been reading too closely. I don't make a ton of money doing what I do, and I work very hard doing it (make as many jokes as you want, idgaf). My overhead and operational costs are through the fucking roof, you have absolutely no idea. I also file taxes on all of my income, yes thats right, I file taxes for my home business. My cost of living is incredibly fucking high due to my operational costs and all of the costs associated with my business, so YES, I was asking for some others opinions on what they would build that is affordable.

Please let me know when you enter back into reality, because right now you seem to be in space man. People have been buying and selling widgets of any sort as a business model for hundreds of fucking years. How are bike parts any different? Maybe you don't remember, but previous to Veloseum, I was the overall Manager of an agriculture and horticulture store here in Portland, working 60-80 hours a week for several years. Even when I was home or off, I was still working. I ran absolutely EVERY aspect of that store. I got pretty burnt out on that, was being treated like shit, and wanted something different. I couldn't be any happier doing what I do now, and certainly wouldn't even remotely consider trading it to work in a factory position.

If you're going to start stupid shit, and or say useless dumb shit, keep your turds to yourself; OR don't, but don't get all heated and your panties in a twist over it. Hahaha, you really don't get it. I couldn't care less about CK not hiring me. You really think I'm pissed about that several years later? It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise to be frank. Diane pulled some unprofessional shit, but oh well thats how it goes sometimes. In fact, if I did care I would have applied again after Diane left. Multiple friends at CK have tried to get me to apply again, I don't want to work in a factory assembly line for 40-50 hours a week. I have a lot of respect for those who can do it, but I cannot, and have no interest in it any longer. I am actually really glad I didn't get the job there to be quite honest. It's just driven me to be more successful with my own business. I get to enjoy the beautiful weather, make my own hours, be my own boss, not slave away in a factory, and do something I truly love and enjoy each and every day; but I'm still apparently really pissed about it. Makes total sense right? Come on dude..

tldr #WALLOFTEXT
    Thanks Dan, agreed
    mommy daddy noooooo
    It's okay. I still <3 Josh. We'll have make up fight sex later.
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    TL;DR
    ^ Knew that was coming
    wookie
    depends. how much riding? in town or interested in "long rides" long ride=11 miles or more.

if bike is for townie duty, igh
    if bike is for other shit, dangler