/dev/null

Comments

• lunoluno Riding Level: 171
  • jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
    Thanks @luno
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,342
    i know we've talked about this before but praise lord Digital Ocean for their amazing tutorials and over the top graphics
  • colbycolby Riding Level: 399
    are we on new server yet?
    i was actually just about to post the notice that we're going down for the day as i move everything over.
    ok I did that
    WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT
    WHY GODADDY
    temporarily dumped everything on to godaddy while i get 16.04 sorted out on digital ocean
    speaking of 16.04, everything is different forever and vagrant doesn't work
    14.04 did nothing wrong and is good till 2019.
    yeah officially putting 16.04 on the wait list indefinitely
    > beartato
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    did the mod control panel move/disappear or am i being too easily distracted?
    what's the catch?
    i'm having a great time learning how to use ansible to manage remote firewalls

(i'm having a great time automating the process of creating unreachable remote servers)
    RE: uptimerobot, I like Deadman's Snitch
    @jerry said:
    i'm having a great time learning how to use ansible to manage remote firewalls

(i'm having a great time automating the process of creating unreachable remote servers)
    No all deployment orchestration tools are garbage and you should feel bad and bitter all the time
    yea jesus, knock that happy shit off. be bitter and mad because everything is held together with fucking duct tape and angst.
    sorry dads!

fucking ansible's bullshit ufw module is total crap and barely works. the documentation fails to note that it's essentially useless to apply rules by service name in certain edge cases, edge cases like 14.04. it's very eager to shut off all ports but cries like a bitch when it can't discern what "SSH" might mean.
    did i do ok
    popped an anger boner, well done
    edited May 2016
    TIL the El Capitan has "rootless" mode enabled for /System files, which requires you to reboot into Recovery mode to just to disable it.

Then reboot again to actually disable an application that OSX doesnt allow you to disable. Be sure to also disable the plist associated with the application, because plists make total sense.

Then chmod 000 that stupid application into the fuck-void of submission, allowing yourself a brief moment of superiority before mindnumbingly rebooting again to re-enable the "rootless" mode.

Which requires you to then, you guessed it, reboot again like some fucking monkey to get back into your own account.

IT JUST WORKS.
    Oh, I'm also giving a talk today.

Slides: https://colbyolson.com/systems.slides
    @jerry said:
    sorry dads!

fucking ansible's bullshit ufw module is total crap and barely works. the documentation fails to note that it's essentially useless to apply rules by service name in certain edge cases, edge cases like 14.04. it's very eager to shut off all ports but cries like a bitch when it can't discern what "SSH" might mean.
    Yeah pretty good, turn it into a blog post and you'll have a million hits on hacker news
    whoa I didn't know that those slides things were a thing that is a good thing wow good job colby wow good job on your talk
    @jnerula said:
    RE: uptimerobot, I like Deadman's Snitch