Coffee Talk

TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
It's coffee talk, no big whoop

Comments

• TheDudeTheDude Riding Level: 875
    edited December 2015
    Im shopping espresso machines, what should I be looking for?
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    Coffee is one of my favorite things this life has to offer. 16 ounces every morning at 430am while catching up on news and sports. Then poop. Then run. Then work. It's an essential part of my day.

I will visit this thread again to check the latest.

Currently grinding Costcos San Francisco beans every morning and splurging on weekends post-run.
  • lunoluno Riding Level: 171
    edited December 2015
    to actually make espresso that has crema and shit you need a legit burr grinder, which is at least a couple hundo, and then a machine that can actually reach real-espresso-pressure which is another $500-$1000 (rancilio silvia?) if you're not balling so hard that you're ready to drop like a thousand bucks to make some coffee, buy a moka pot or some other stovetop spro machine.

most everything inbetween is not better than stovetop espresso enough to justify the extra money. espresso is basically for rich people.

atmo.
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    Dude, you can get a burr grinder for under $40.
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,337
    dude, you're gettin a Dell!!!
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,388
    I vouch for this portable setup.
    Its not bikepacking light but we took it touring and made americanos every morning
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    I just bought a burr grinder for $26. Then right after that it went on sale for $20. I love it!
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    edited December 2015
    Interesting video on coffee...

• MacheteMachete Riding Level: 151
    @TheDude said:
    Im shopping espresso machines, what should I be looking for?
    I like being able to pull properly, so I personally don't like machines that have too many automatic functions. My previous machine had a built in burr grinder.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    @Cekte said:
    Haha I realize that :p I suppose I should actually use the quote function.
    @Kendra said:
    I am not a fan. Of the coffee or the proprietor.
    Any particular reasons?

There we go
    Yeah the owner is a pompous asshole and he's been super rude to me every time I've been in there. I don't think the coffee tastes good and therefore I do not like it.
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,321
    (in reference to kendras oblique impressions)
    ouchhhhh
    i used to go down there for the tour but then they didn't show a few days? never went back.

i also hate the new baristas at courier's cafe. i have not been shy about telling the proprietor either because the music they choose to listen to is absolutely the worst and nobody buys records so they keep listening to the shitty shit music. there is 1 girl barista who shows promise but for the most part im just mad and hate people. whatever. i dont care.
    That new girl at courier didnt know what a doppio was.
    I gave a "are you kidding me?" Look to the guy at the sinesso.
    i just googled some words
    @tvcb said:
    That new girl at courier didnt know what a doppio was.
    I gave a "are you kidding me?" Look to the guy at the sinesso.
    Is this site private yet? @jerry make it private or get pms going.

Ok so back in the olden days I got my first job as a "human being" at coffee people. The Jim and Cathy era. Ok, whatever, worked coffee for a couple years and then I grew up, got a better job and went to college.

Post college and I'm serving tables. Went through stumptown training (when that was a thing) and coffee was just coffee. One day this guy orders a "doppio espresso" and I had no idea, I asked him what it was and then I signed up for a conversational Italian class. Went to Italy a couple years later. I am confident that I know all the coffee vocabulary now.
    @Miguel said:
    Is this site private yet? @jerry make it private or get pms going.
    don't tell me what to do
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    That's a bummer to hear. John sponsored me and Nissy in 2012 and was a super awesome guy then. Like so awesome it's hard for me to believe that he's a pompous asshole.

As for his coffee, all the boutique coffee I ever taste tastes the same unless I'm doing a side by side comparison.
    I never see John over there anymore so i cant comment on his dispostion these days but he was always a pleasant and professional dude.
    i can attest that he puts far more effort into the coffee than almost any roaster his size, including flying to south america to source beans.
  • lunoluno Riding Level: 171
    there's this weird thing i've noticed over the years with a lot of people in portland where they give off a cold / aloof / dick vibe but don't realize they're doing it and are often really nice people. he might have some of that going on. when i went in there several years ago to watch the tour, he opened up to me, a rando 17 year old, about some pretty personal stuff. i always respected him after that. can't speak to kendras experience, but the portlander weird-vibe thing is real.
  • jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
    @luno said:
    but the portlander weird-vibe thing is real.
    Yep
    whatever fuck you
  • rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,439
    In my experience, I tend to come off as kind of a dick because I have pretty hard time talking to people I don't know. I guess that's SOCIAL ANXIETY or whatever. I think there are a number of equally anxious or awkward people in the communities I spend time in and it's just this vicious cycle of thinking people are assholes when they probably think the same about you. Trying to be less like that and make less assumptions.
  • jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
    It gets worse in winter because all anyone wants to do is drink and wait for the sun to return.
    The sun is an asshole. For real, fuck that guy.
    RAIN FOREVER
    DAYBALL NEVER
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Only in Portland will you go somewhere to buy something from a business, and make sure you're the one who is treating them nicely.
  • DuderDuder Riding Level: 218
    @Josh said:
    Only in Portland will you go somewhere to buy something from a business, and make sure you're the one who is treating them nicely.
    Yes. I feel guilt sometimes if I go to a shop and leave without buying something. Backwards.