Riding bikes for money

I'm still new to Portland but everyone I've asked so far is saying there are no independent courier collectives here in the city. Is this true? And if so is there a reason? City laws too strict to keep one afloat? Taxes for independent contractors too high? Educate my azz plz.

(Also if there's no reason and there's just a void here who would be interested in going around to food spots and seeing if they'd hire a courier collective to make their deliveries?)

Comments

• JoshJosh Riding Level: 823
    edited September 2015
    Unfortunately you're not going to find any (reliable) info about that on here... Go to the downtown Stumptown around 8am during the week, and talk to those dudes about it. Wait is that even the regular morning spot anymore? Anyways, the attitudes might be a little salty, especially if you don't know anyone. A good guy to ask would be Will. He's definitely been the most outgoing messenger that I've been in contact with.
  • CHIWIZARDCHIWIZARD Riding Level: 8
    @Josh said:
    Unfortunately you're not going to find any (reliable) info about that on here... Go to the downtown Stumptown around 8am during the week, and talk to those dudes about it. Wait is that even the regular morning spot anymore? Anyways, the attitudes might be a little salty, especially if you don't know anyone. A good guy to ask would be Will. He's definitely been the most outgoing messenger that I've been in contact with.
    Thanks for the info! Yea I know I'm new, I'm not trying to step on any toes or whatever, just figured I'd ask here and see if I could at least get pointed in the right direction. Maybe if I find out anything I'll come through in the comments here and drop some knowledge.
  • rofljenrofljen Riding Level: 2,438
    I don't think showing up at a restaurant and offering to deliver will do any good. But, I mean, I could be totally wrong.
    @rofljen said:
    I don't think showing up at a restaurant and offering to deliver will do any good. But, I mean, I could be totally wrong.
    Oh I'd definitely consult with the homies back home and see what their negotiations were like with restaurants there. Obviously have to get the numbers figured out before you just waltz in and ask to speak to a manager lol
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,145
    One huge-ass, well-researched, and, frankly, beautiful PowerPoint presentation later: "Yeah, but Postmates/Caviar do the same thing and we don't have to pay them."
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,316
    I used to work downtown as a generic professional semi anonymous service worker in large office environments, and dealt with a lot of other generic professional semi anonymous service workers, and the big difference between those well established service companies and bike messengers was we dressed professionally and didn't look/smell like shit or have a bullshit elitist attitude on site. I rode so many elevators with "lifestyle" messengers and couldn't believe that they had jobs, swearing on their phones in lobbies, chewing gum, slouching around like a prick, tossing bundles of envelopes on a desk with a cocky "you gotta sign this". If I had to deal with a courier service as an office or restaurant or whatever and had a choice between a legitimate business entity sending me a worker wearing a logoed polo shirt, or some random douche wearing a chain lock "living the dream", I wouldn't have to think too hard.
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 823
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,279
    Yeah but have you seen the guy at jimjohns that has a trispoke
  • jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
    There's definitely scuzzy lifers out there. I think there's definitely scuzzy low wage workers everywhere though.

Of course this is all hypothetical but I wasn't even thinking of fucking with downtown at all really so those environments would be avoided entirely. Start with the east side and deliver for some rad spots, maybe even offer delivery from food truck parks idk. Food is the only bike game left with money in it, and unless it's catering for a meeting, people want to leave their office but they don't want to leave their home.
    I think there are a lot more food delivery options than you might be aware of
    its not delivery its dijorno
    Delivery Dudes
    Delivered Dish
    Soup Cycle(?)
    @Miguel said:
    *DiGiorno
  • McRussellPantsMcRussellPants Riding Level: 679
    Could always jam some jimmies.
  • samuelspicesamuelspice Riding Level: 43
    Im just trying make some extra cash on the side. Is Postmates/Caviar worth it? I mean it would be great to make some cash while on the bike.
    @wookie said:
    @Miguel said:
    *DiGiorno
    lol you think they mind if I use their name?
    @phomma said:
    @jerry said:
    I think there are a lot more food delivery options than you might be aware of
    Caviar
    Postmates
    Grub Hub
    Pedal Power

Also

B Line
    Portland Mercury
    City Services
    Caviar is decent tho?
    Good to know. I just got deactivated from Postmates for inactivity.
  • samuelspicesamuelspice Riding Level: 43
    word bird
    200x52 = 10400 a year
    Boom
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,374
    10k from a single employer, enjoy your end of the year surprise
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,159
    Sounds about right