Helmet Thread (where cool kids hang out)

tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,386
This thread is for general helmet discussion.

Comments

• tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,386
    better to have one year round helmet or one commute/shitty weather helmet and one nice weather/gotta go fast helmet?
  • wookiewookie Riding Level: 1,146
    One helmet is all you need, but if you're racing at all, at some point you're gonna end up with a go-fast helmet and shaved legs anyway.
  • McRussellPantsMcRussellPants Riding Level: 681
    Tfw Riding level possibly in shaved leg territory but waxing this bear is like zipp 202 price tag territory
  • bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 695
    I bought a $200+ Giro helmet last winter. My logic is, even though it it's not a great helmet imo comfort/style wise - I paid $200 fuckin dollars for a helmet and I'm going to get my money's worth!
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,386
    im seriously considering the air attack as it is a good functioning helmet but doesnt look outlandish
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,310
    Air attack looks sweet especially with the sunglasses

I had a giro aeon and I loved it. Lighter than the atmos which I also loved. I'm thinking about a lazer z1 mips next because Molly Cameron.
    @Miguel said:
    Air attack looks sweet especially with the sunglasses

I had a giro aeon and I loved it. Lighter than the atmos which I also loved. I'm thinking about a lazer z1 mips next because Molly Cameron.
    That's what I got. Honestly it's uncomfortable and how is designed it wants sit on the back of your head and leave a lot if vulnerability up front.

• jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,327
    the air attack makes your head look like a dick exactly as much as it should

That's what I got. Honestly it's uncomfortable and how is designed it wants sit on the back of your head and leave a lot if vulnerability up front.
    the z1 mips? i tried it on and it seemed like a good helmet for wearing a cap.
  • jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
    but waxing this bear

@Miguel said:

the z1 mips? i tried it on and it seemed like a good helmet for wearing a cap.
    Giro Aeon

• KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    I have a different atmos to match my outfits
    oh ok. well the thing that the aeon has going for it is its weight and that the top pros wore it 2-3 years ago (also maybe now?). you have to futz with the straps and the dial to get it to fit right. i think that the pad design was pretty good and minimal compared to the atmos - the atmos got real stinky after a month or two of sunny hot summer. i never really wore the aeon without a cap but it worked well enough when i did. i got mine for like $110 new (coz shop deal) and it was a great value for that. im not sure that i could buy a $250 helmet.
    I feel I can only wear with a cap (which is annoying). I did get a discount as well, not $110, but not $250. Either way, I still stand by my original statement. Keeps my noggin safe.

Though admittedly I don't wear it 4 blocks to the store. rip
    FYI I got hit at NE 28/Couch
    literally
    blocks
    from
    home
  • JoshJosh Riding Level: 824
    Wow

U dumass
    @Josh said:
    Wow

U dumass
    wasnt my fault?
    Isn't there some statistical correlation where you naturally end up doing most of your driving within something like a mile of where you live (because all trips start off with the same first couple turns, no matter your destination) and so that's where you're more likely to have an accident, because that's where you usually are?
    edited September 2015
    Something something % of all collisions happen within x miles of your front door
    i got a pb on strava on that same route today fyi
    @Josh said:
    Something something % of all collisions happen within x miles of your front door
    Yeah, but the reason for that is that almost exactly something something % of anyone's traveling occurs within x miles of their front door.
  • KendraKendra Riding Level: 1,356
    that's why I never leave the house.

brought to you by amazon prime.
    @Miguel said:
    i got a pb on strava on that same route today fyi
    Peanut Butter on Strava?
    who tf eats one slice of bread with just peanut butter on it
    seriously
    @Kendra said:
    that's why I never leave the house.

brought to you by amazon prime.
    1hr delivery now in Portland. Wuuuuut?
    @Miguel said:
    who tf eats one slice of bread with just peanut butter on it
    seriously
    Me all the time. Don't hate.

Though I usually slice a banana, also I promote the bread to toast before hand.
    Toasted pbjs/honeys are teh besssst
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    I've got 2 Aeons because they fit my head so well.

One thing I learned about motorcycle helmets is this; try on a bunch and find out what fits your head best. My head's long and skinny, can't even wear a Shoei unless it's an XL. Arai makes one that's specifically for the oval head and I wear a medium. That goes to show how different designs work or don't.

Kask makes some baller helmets that are stupid comfortable but you pay a price.

Mostly try on a bunch and find out what works for your head. One helmet for all seasons.

I can't get used to how the Air Attack looks. I'm dickhead enough as it is, don't need to look like one too.
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    And Michael at some point you've gotta own up to being a shitty bike rider

How many times have you been hit?
    Always on a commute

Always where I was supposed to be

Always a driver not paying attention